Well, today is the big day. I am 39.
39 amazing years.
God has been good to me. Even in my darkest moments, I have felt His presence.
I thank Him for that.
I was raised by an incredible mom who never missed a beat when it came to making me feel loved. We didn’t have much, but it didn’t matter because we felt surrounded by her love. I am eternally grateful for that.
As I grew up, I felt pretty secure in who I was as a person and what I had to offer the world. That has made this thing called life less painful and so much easier to navigate.
I’ve made mistakes, but I have no regrets. I think I turned out okay. More than okay based on the picture below…
I’ve shed my share of tears, but I have enjoyed these 39 years of life. Every decision I’ve made has led me to where I am today. I thank God for all of it.
And as I celebrate this day, I gotta tell you I am looking forward to turning 40 next year. Not only am I looking forward to 40, but I am looking forward to this year leading up to my fortieth birthday. I am ready to tackle this fortieth year of my life with passion and focus. I have a list of goals to crush, both big and small, and I plan to crush every single one.
And although these disrespectful ass gray hairs don’t want me to be great, I still plan to rock out this upcoming year with every ounce of fabulousness I can muster up. I am too dope to do it any other way.
Can you me a favor, though? Can you look at this list and hold me accountable? I don’t care if we are close friends, or if I am just some chick whose blog you like, I need your help.
So here are 40 things I plan to do before I turn 40. Grab a glass of wine. It’s a lot!
- Paint my bedroom. I moved into my house over 5 years ago. We still haven’t painted our bedroom. It’s sad. It needs to happen in the next 12 months.
- Plan my 2nd annual Wellness event. I am not sure what it will look like ( it depends on what happens in a few weeks at the first event) but I know I will plan something next fall.
- Host a Christmas that requires very little cooking and work. I love my family, but I have three kids now, ya’ll. I am not staying in that kitchen all day. Come on over and bring some food with you if you want to eat well. Please and thank you!
- Take an indoor rock climbing class because it just seems like fun.
- Do something drastic to my hair. As of now, I think I’ll either chop it all off or get locs.
- Finish and publish my book. I’ve been struggling, but now I see why. God needed me to go through a few more things before I put this book out into the world. It’s coming, though.
- Get a quality set of pots because the ones we have are kind of whack.
- Attend BlogHer18 Health in New York City. Amazing event and a reason to go back home. I can’t pass that up.
- Attend a sales and marketing event in June that I have been eyeballing for over a year.
- Get published in a national print magazine. This damn goal has been nagging me for years!
- Host my first all-day wellness boot camp for moms. You coming?
- Pay off any CC debt I have because debt sucks.
- Build more muscle because I am 39 and I gain weight just by smelling cookies. It’s messed up, really.
- Go on a cruise for the first time.
- Grow my e-commerce site, forbrooklyngirls.com.
- Buy five or more dresses because I recently realized that I look really good in dresses.
- Get a bike and go for a few rides.
- Get at least 2 professional massages.
- Read at least 12 books.
- Go to a casino with friends because it’s been too long since I’ve been.
- Visit the National Museum of African American History and Culture.
- Mentor a young woman.
- Go to a wine vineyard.
- Spend a weekend alone to write and sleep.
- Play in the snow with my kids.
- Try Pilates again.
- Visit Chicago for a girls trip.
- Pay someone to revamp candidbelle.com and martineforeman.com.
- Form partnerships with at least 2 of my dream brands.
- Plan a celebration for my fortieth birthday.
- Attend a self-care retreat being hosted by a friend.
- Collaborate more with fellow entrepreneurs.
- Facilitate at least 5 corporate wellness workshops.
- Book at least 10 speaking engagements (1 down… 9 to go)
- Go to the beach.
- Create video content at least once a week.
- Have a fun photoshoot with my family.
- Send random cards and gifts to people I love… just because.
- Plan an awesome family summer vacation.
- Find a new church I love.
Phew! That was a lot. And listen, there will be no feeling bad if I don’t accomplish every goal. I am ALL about showing myself some grace. But these goals matter to me a lot so I am going for it.
Pray for me ya’ll.
Feature image photo credit: Eye Imagery
Are you a mom? Wanna join a community of amazing moms who are trying to juggle life and live well? Join The Mommy Wellness Lounge — a Facebook group of like-minded mamas who want to live well, make healthy choices and enjoy all the moments that matter. Click here to join today!